Saturday, May 7, 2011

Working with Agency Models

A recent situation has gotten me to thinking about working with agency models and how I go through a different process with them, vs what I would do with a regular/hobby model. I've had the honor of working with quite a few and I will say, they are an absolute pleasure !

There really is nothing better than to work with someone who has the posing and experience of a professional; they know which angles work best for their faces and their bodies, and that's of a huge advantage for a photographer. It also makes the shoot go faster, to where you can get more looks in.

However, as a photographer I also compose, light and think differently than I do when i'm working with an agency model. If possible (or if they say in their profile), I find out what agency they're with and I will research the styles of and types of men & women that they represent, and I will also look closely at the type of photography that they have on their websites for their men/women.

Of course, I don't copy the type of photo exactly- I always put my own style and spin on it, but this gives me a better idea of what the agency expects their models to have.

I also always ask three basic questions, one I always as when working with ANY model.

1- Are you allergic to anything, indoors or out, that I should be aware of? (learned about this one on my second shoot.. I shoot outside, and encountered a model that was allergic to grass. Danger, will robinson, danger!)

2- What does your agency need for your comp card?

3- Does your agency require any written contracts/release in order for the shoot to take place- and do I need to go through/get approved by your agent before shooting?

Of course, giving an agency model excellent shots not only looks great for your book, and theirs, but gets you exposure to their agent, which is always nice! I also look closely through their current portfolio since i'm meeting them off of Model Mayhem, to determine what they need in their online portfolios. Chances are, I can fill in some of the gaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment